12.17.2009

Anna's teeth

I took Anna to the orthodontist.

My dentist told me how many orthodontists were putting 8 and 9 year olds in braces when it was not really necessary. They just end up needing them again when they are older. So, Matt & I were fairly skeptical about taking her in. But, her overbite has gotten so severe that her lower teeth are cutting into the roof of her mouth. So, I was getting worried.

And rightly so - the constant presence of her lower teeth on the top of her mouth can wear away the gum tissue and damage the roots of her adult teeth. Yikes! So, after consulting with the orthodontist and the xrays, I feel I have a good understanding of what is going on. No braces for her yet (she really wants them though) but she will be getting a bite plate to protect her mouth. It should be something like a retainer. And she will probably need a couple of her baby teeth pulled in a few years (just like me!). Her lower jaw is just too small for them.

So, there's the update!

No comments: