9.30.2009

Cooking with veggies

So, as many have heard, we are converting from mainly meat eaters, to half time vegetarians. We are still eating small amounts of meat - I'm just trying to plan dinners to be meatless. This is challenging but fun. Certainly no monotony of food here! I am trying something new every night practically.

The kids are up for it I think - I don't like to make the same thing more than once a month so, they are used to a lot of variety.

But, the Spiced Lentils were a bit too far. Vegetarian cooking is challenging when you have 2 kids who don't like beans or lentils, 2 who don't care much for vegetables of any kind and one Mom who doesn't like pasta. But, the Mom is willing to eat anything, the kids are going to adjust and I am getting a lot of use out of my salad shooter!

Tonight was Stuffed Shells. The kids (and parents) loved it! They didn't know that it was a mix of baby eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and bread crumbs. The Salad shooter basically turned everything into grated mush, I squeezed out the excess water and went from there. They were pretty good and the girls both want them in their school lunch tomorrow! Since I only have one thermos, they'll have to take turns.

Tomorrow we have a meat night (Sloppy Toms) in the crockpot and then Friday is Pizza night!

I miss having people to invite over for dinner, but the kids enjoy getting to completely dominate all dinner conversation at the table. Usually our ears are ringing by the time we start clearing off the table.

No comments: